Want to password protect your WordPress website? Or need to show a maintenance page that isn’t plain and boring?
You may be working on a client website that you want to keep hidden until complete. Or you have content you want only certain people to view. Or you could be getting ready to launch your site.
If any of these apply to you, I’m going to show you how to password protect your WordPress website using a free maintenance plugin. It is called Maintenance.
Below is a video tutorial showing you how to set up the password protection page. And below that, there are more details on Maintenance.
More About the Maintenance Plugin
The Maintenance plugin was created to allow developers a way to put their site into maintenance mode. But with a beautiful landing page that won’t scare visitors away.
But as mentioned earlier, the Maintenance plugin has many other uses.
So, what does the Maintenance plugin actually do?
It allows you to build a landing page which the visitor can only bypass by entering a username and password.
The screenshot below shows an example of this landing page:
How can someone log in?
On the right side of the screenshot, you’ll see a lock icon.
When you click it, the username and password fields appear, as seen below:
It’s a nice feature that will impress your clients.
So what else does the Maintenance plugin offer?
Maintenance Plugin Features
Included in the Maintenance plugin are a bunch of options.
- Turn maintenance mode on and off so you can begin setting up the page and make it live when needed
- Change the page title tag, the headline text, and description
- Insert your own logo image
- Change the background image (or choose a background color instead)
- Change font color and font family
- Choose whether you want the admin bar visible or not
- Choose whether you want a 503 error output to search engines. A 503 error tells search engines that this site is currently unavailable. Perfect when you put a site in maintenance mode
- Choose to blur the background
- Choose to have the Login feature turned on or off
- Finally, Maintenance offers a custom CSS panel that lets users customize the maintenance page however you’d like.
Need More Features? Get Maintenance PRO
There is also a premium version of Maintenance.
It gives you a countdown timer (perfect when you are preparing to launch a site).
An area to add video (so you can describe the site that will be launched)
And a full HTML editor, so you can take the functionality even further. For instance, you can add an email collection form.
Of course, you can get the free version of Maintenance Plugin by visiting: http://fruitfulcode.com/wordpress-maintenance-plugin-free/